Development Pamoja, Nakuru, Kenya
Development Pamoja’s slogan is Trade Without Aid. We are dedicated to the disadvantaged people of the small villages surrounding Mogotio in rural Kenya. DP assists these communities in growing a viable local economy and transforming their lives without becoming reliant on aid. Whenever possible we require the community to meet us part way as we hope to inspire them to be invested in helping themselves. We are a charity working with a completely voluntary board based in Ireland that approves and distributes all funds to our team in Kenya (1 Irish, 3 Kenyans). 100% of all donations go to the projects. The minimal pay of the 4 members of the team in Kenya is raised by car boot sales and a small allowance by partner organizations based in Ireland.
- Improving farming techniques via greenhouse education, crop rotation, water collection & drip irrigation.
- Micro-loan, income generating & business education. Primary healthcare for the elderly and disabled.
- Education of vulnerable and disabled children.
- Nutritional programs for the vulnerable.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
Work involves 5-6 days/ week days usually start at 6:30am- 4pm (including transportation time of 1 hr each way). Generally 3 days/ week are spent on the farm, the other days are spent working with the community, writing grants, business education etc depending on the skills of the volunteer. Opportunities for volunteers with skills in the following areas:
- special education(disabled children)
- early childhood education
- physiotherapy/nursing, geriatric care, nutrition,
- community development,
- micro finance
Volunteers must be hard working, positive, open minded, compassionate, good with kids, not scared of dirt or physical labour, illness or suffering. This is not a volunteer placement for the casual volunteer, we need committed, skilled volunteers. Minimum volunteer requirement is 1 month. Knowledge of Swahili is a BIG plus but not a requirement. Fundraising before hand is required to cover
some of the transportation costs during volunteering and for support of the programs. Online interview and CV required. 2 volunteers allowed at a time.
Volunteers stay at Marys Home Stay in Nakuru. This is a 2 bedroomed apartment where volunteers live with Mary Waruguru. Facilities include:
- Private rooms with double beds
- Mosquito nets, comfortable beds, bedding and towels provided
- Hot showers
- Breakfast and dinner
- Night time Security guard and high electrical fence
- Small fridge and hot plates for self catering
- Grocerys available within a 5 minute walk, while its a 30 min walk to downtown Nakuru or a 5 minute matatu ride
- You can do your own laundry or have it done for 200-300 Kenyan shillings/ week
Cost: 15 Euros/day for non TEV members. TEV Members get a discounted price of 13 Euros/day
Volunteers travel together with Mary by matatu (Nissan Van’s) to Mogotio then via motorcycle to the projects.
Take local bus or taxi from Nairobi airport to the Mololine station in Nairobi, and take a matatu for Nakuru. Volunteers will be met at the bus station in Nakuru by a DP representative. For those arriving late at night, assistance will be provided in organising a taxi from Nairobi airport to a hotel in the city. Volunteers then continue onwards to Nakuru the following morning.
- Hikes from Nakuru include Lake Nakuru National Park, Menengai Crater, Hyrax Hill (Prehistoric Site) and Thompsons Falls
- Day trips by bus: Lake Bogoria, Kericho Tea fields, Hells Gate, Lake Baringo (Reptile park/boat ride/hippos, crocodiles)
- Safaris: Masai Mara – 3/4/5 days, can be organised in Nakuru town
Phone number: +254734721298
Helping out in the greenhouse
Hanging out with the coolest dude in town
Volunteer and community memeber work together in the green house
Marys Home Stay
Location of Development Pamoja, Nakuru